You know how there are those people you see, walking down the street or your office or shopping, the ones that look so put together? Every stitch of clothing fits perfectly and doesn't shift, ride up or gather anywhere. Their bag or purse strap wouldn't dare to slip down their shoulder, ride perfectly on their hip or shoulder as if glued. You know those people you have seen them. You may even be one of them. I for one am not. I will strive to be them forever, but it will never be. This morning is the perfect example. As I left daycare, after dropping off Sadie who was hysterical in the haunted house (cardboard house made by teachers, the kids love it!), walking back to the office I felt sort of put together. My coat is a nice brown plaid, and was buttoned appropriately and belted properly across my waist (not normal). My purse was slung beautifully across my shoulder (see previous blog about purse). The cute bow on my top saucily jaunted out over the lapel of my jacket. I even remembered lipstick this morning. Hair in a bun. Sunglasses on. Everything just peachy on my short walk to work.
About a block from daycare, I started to think everything wasn't so dandy. In the back of my mind I thought maybe, just maybe I could feel something slightly damp on my thigh. Hm I thought to myself, that doesn't feel right. So on the corner, waiting for the walk sign (I am a good Chicago citizen. sometimes.) I glance down whilst holding my purse slightly away from my body. As it turns out, my thigh was slightly damp, from the sippy cup I had forgotten was in my purse. It was steadily leaking out of bottom of purse, onto coat, in a very nice splash pattern, which in turn was leaking onto my thigh. sigh. I will never be that person.
You can't put lipstick on a shabster and expect GQ.
Lesson of the day: Do not be tempted to put a potential leaky object in your purse, even though it seems so easy and you are juggling baby, backpack, purse and coffee mug. It will leak. promise.
Friday, October 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
A - I hate those people. Why do their button-downs never wrinkle?And why do they never come untucked from their pants that don't gap in the back? As much as I try, I will never be that person either!
B - I laughed out loud and read this story to my co-worker.
Happy Friday!
Post a Comment