Tuesday, July 03, 2007
Medical Student Test Object
Right before Kim left she was working as a standardized patient. During one of her last assignments, the leader guy asked if they knew anyone who was pregnant as they needed woman 28-36 weeks. Kim told me about it so I said, why not donate my body to science :) The first round I was a standby so i basically got paid to sit for an hour and be a backup. I had another session yesterday. This time though instead of them doing their final exams on me, I had fresh third year medical students who hadn't seen a patient yet. I was their first! Never been part of a training program but it was sort of fun. Most of them were so nervous! Makes you think of doctors in a new way. Anywho, there were about 20 of them as the other preggar didn't show so I had to do two classes. Not a big deal, all they did was measure my fundal height (baby bump), try to figure out what position baby was in, and try to find the heartbeat. I got to hear baby's heart beat 22 times (the teacher had to show them how the first time). It was interesting too as she was moving around her heartbeat got higher. Never was too high though so we are good. Plus the doctor told me I was thin (explained it would be harder to do in larger pregnant women) and had a perfect baby belly. whoot whoot. :) The cool thing is I have now had 22 doctors (20 med students, the teacher and my dr) all tell me baby is upside down. she is ready for gametime folks! Ok so not all of the med students guessed correctly as the baby butt in my upper right quandrant of uterus confused some of them, for the most part everyone knew baby was upsdie down. I even learned how to show Bryan how to feel her head! The best part is I made $50. cool. All I can do for science.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment